Victim Services
The Peculiar Police Department is committed to providing any and all assistance to victims of criminal acts. Every effort will be made to serve the needs of the victim by providing all necessary information and, in some cases, direct intervention.

Victims of domestic violence comprise a large percentage of those affected by criminal acts.  Domestic violence not only affects those who are being abused, but also has a substantial effect on family members, friends, co-workers, and other witnesses. Children who grow up witnessing domestic violence are also among those most seriously affected by this crime.

You Are Not Alone
  • You are not the cause of someone else's violent behavior
  • You do not deserve to be abused                                          
  • You have a RIGHT to expect and demand help and respect
  • You have the right to think, feel and make choices and changes

You Have a Right to be Safe

Missouri’s Adult Abuse Act provides protective relief for victims of domestic violence and stalking.  Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about Ex-Parte’s / Full Order’s of Protection.

Do I Qualify For an Ex-Parte? Pertaining to Age: Both parties must be 17 years of age or older, or emancipated.  Relationship: You must now be, or formerly have been any of the following:

  • Married
  • Related by Marriage or Blood
  • Living Together
  • Have a Child in Common
  • Dating
  • Or the Victim of Stalking

Having the abuser / stalker's address and/or place of employment is also important.  For you to obtain a Full Order of Protection the respondent must be served.

Where can I file? You can file at:

  • The county you reside  
  • The county the abuser/stalker resides  
  • The county where the abuse/stalking occurred

You Must File at the County Courthouse

Cass County: 2501 West Mechanic Street, Harrisonville, MO

Jackson County: 415 East 12th Street, Kansas City, MO

                              or 308 West Kansas Street, Independence, MO

How much will this cost? There is no fee for an Ex-Parte.

Can I file if I still want the respondent to see his/her children? Yes! You can request on the form for no communication "except in regards to the children." Thought should go into possibly using a third party or alternate location for all visitation exchanges.

Area Resources Include::

  • Hope Haven (Cass County 816 380-4663
  • Rose Brooks (Kansas City and Northland)  816 861-6100 
  • New House (Northeast Kansas City)  816 471-5800  
  • Hope House (Eastern Jackson County)  816 461-4673
  • Safe Haven ( Platte County) 816 321-7050
  • Safehome (Overland Park, KS) 913 262-2868
  • Joyce H. Williams Center (Kansas City, KS) 913 321-0951
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233

These numbers are answered 24 hours a day and all information is provided free of charge. You do not have to give your name and any information you reveal over the phone is kept strictly confidential.


Police Department

Chief Gurin

Chief Harry Gurin

Chief of Police

(816) 779-5102




Rhonda Koehn

Police Records Clerk

(816) 779-5102



City of Peculiar Police

Phone (816) 779-5102

Fax (816) 758-5103

Emergency Dial 911


224 North Main Street
Peculiar, Missouri 64078



Additional Resources
Peculiar MO City Logo
City of Peculiar | 250 S. Main Street Peculiar, MO 64078  |  Phone: 816-779-5212  |  Fax: 816-779-1004
Contact Us  |  Site Map   |  Powered by MunicipalCMS
E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook